Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana is an insurance scheme designed for Indian emigrants (Pravasi Bharatiyas) working abroad. Launched by the Government of India, the scheme provides life insurance coverage to overseas Indian workers in case of accidental death or permanent disability during their employment tenure abroad.
The insurance aims to offer financial protection to migrant workers and their families. It ensures that beneficiaries receive a predetermined sum assured in the event of the insured person’s demise or disability.
Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY) PDF File Download Now
Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (Non-Resident Indian Insurance Scheme) reflects the government’s commitment to safeguarding the interests of Indian expatriates and promoting their well-being while working abroad.
|Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY)
|Ministry of External Affairs (MEA)
|Indian emigrant workers falling under the Emigration Check Required (ECR) category going for overseas employment to ECR countries.
|Yes, irrespective of employer and location.
|₹10 Lakh for accidental death or permanent disability leading to loss of employment abroad.
|Indian Missions and Posts abroad certify accidental death or permanent disability, accepted by insurance companies.
|Medical Insurance Cover
|Up to ₹1,00,000 for injuries, sickness, ailments, and diseases (up to ₹50,000 per hospitalization).
|Actual one-way economy class airfare to the nearest international airport in India in cases of medical unfitness or premature termination of employment.
|Up to ₹50,000 for spouse and first two children up to 21 years of age in India.
|Maternity Expenses Benefit
|Up to ₹50,000 for women emigrants.
|Attendant’s Airfare Reimbursement
|Return economy class airfare reimbursed in case of emigrant’s accidental death or permanent disability.
|Legal Expenses Coverage
|Up to ₹45,000 for litigation related to emigrant’s overseas employment.
|Yes, provision for online renewal of PBBY policy.
|Overseas Indian with cleared emigration. Age between 18 to 65 years (maximum entry age subject to emigration clearance).
|Online purchase through entities like IFFCO-TOKIO General Insurance and Oriental Insurance.
|Accepted Modes of Payment
|UPI, Internet Banking, Debit Card, Online Wallets, Credit Card (Mastercard, Visa, American Express).
|Before starting, keep travel-related documents such as Passport, Visa, Work Permit No. ready.
|1. Fill in online form. 2. Move to payment page. 3. Fill in mandatory details. 4. Select payment mode. 5. Download receipt after successful processing.
|Accidental Death: – Police Report – Post Mortem Report – Certificate/Report from concerned Indian Embassy – Duly attested copy of passport (all pages). Permanent Total Disability: – Medical records – Disability certificate by competent medical authority.
The Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana stands as a crucial safety net for Indian emigrant workers, providing comprehensive coverage and a streamlined claims process. Online purchase only – Yes, the purchase of PBBY can only be done online.
Overview of Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY)
In an era of globalization, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has instituted the Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY) to ensure the protection of Indian emigrant workers heading to overseas employment in Emigration Check Required (ECR) countries.
This mandatory insurance scheme provides global coverage, simplified certification processes, and online renewal options, making it more advantageous for emigrant workers.
Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY) is a safety net designed by the MEA to safeguard the interests of Indian emigrant workers. The scheme extends its coverage beyond geographical and employer constraints, offering a comprehensive safety net for those working in ECR countries. With a focus on expeditious claims settlement, PBBY ensures the well-being of emigrant workers.
The PBBY goes beyond borders, providing global insurance coverage irrespective of employer and location. Let’s delve into the key benefits:
- Accidental Death or Permanent Disability Coverage: Emigrant workers are covered for a substantial sum of ₹10 Lakh in the unfortunate event of accidental death or permanent disability leading to the loss of employment abroad, regardless of employer or location changes.
- Certification Process: Indian Missions and Posts abroad certify accidental death or permanent disability, ensuring a streamlined and recognized process accepted by insurance companies.
- Medical Insurance Cover: A comprehensive medical insurance cover, including injuries, sickness, ailments, and diseases, is available up to ₹1,00,000 (up to ₹50,000 per hospitalization).
- Repatriation Cover: In cases of medical unfitness or premature termination of employment, the PBBY provides actual one-way economy class airfare to the nearest international airport in India.
- Family Hospitalization in India: Emigrant workers’ families are not left behind; they receive hospitalization coverage in India up to ₹50,000 for the spouse and the first two children up to 21 years of age.
- Maternity Expenses Benefit: Women emigrants enjoy maternity expenses coverage up to ₹50,000, offering a safety net for crucial healthcare needs.
- Reimbursement of Attendant’s Airfare: In the unfortunate event of an emigrant’s accidental death or permanent disability, the PBBY reimburses the return economy class airfare for one attendant.
- Legal Expenses Coverage: Litigation related to emigrant’s overseas employment is covered, with admissible expenses of up to ₹45,000.
- Online Renewal Facility: The PBBY understands the importance of convenience and offers an online renewal provision, allowing emigrant workers to seamlessly extend their policy.
To be eligible for the PBBY, applicants must:
- Be Overseas Indians with cleared emigration.
- Fall within the age bracket of 18 to 65 years (maximum entry age subject to emigration clearance).
The PBBY does not have specific exclusions, ensuring comprehensive coverage for eligible emigrant workers.
Embracing technology, the application process for PBBY is streamlined and efficient. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Online Purchase: PBBY can be purchased online through entities like IFFCO-TOKIO General Insurance and Oriental Insurance, offering multiple online channels.
- Document Preparation: Before initiating the application, ensure all travel-related documents such as Passport, Visa, and Work Permit No. are readily available.
- Form Filling: For new customers, fill in all relevant details in the online form. After completion, proceed to the payment page.
- Mandatory Details: Fill in all mandatory details correctly when prompted on the screen.
- Premium Payment: Move to the premium payment page, where you can select from various modes such as UPI, Internet Banking, Debit Card, Online Wallets, and Credit Card (Mastercard, Visa, and American Express).
- Confirmation Page: After successful payment processing, you’ll be directed to the confirmation page. Download the receipt for future reference.
In the unfortunate events of accidental death or permanent total disability, specific documents are necessary:
- Police Report confirming accidental death.
- Post Mortem Report.
- Certificate/Report from the concerned Indian Embassy.
- Duly attested copy of the passport (all pages).
Permanent Total Disability:
- Medical records pertaining to treatment following the accident.
- Disability certificate issued by the competent medical authority.
Additionally, for permanent total disability, documents may be required based on the nature of the claim.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY)?
- PBBY is a mandatory insurance scheme by the Ministry of External Affairs for Indian emigrant workers going for overseas employment to ECR countries, offering global coverage.
- Can I purchase PBBY offline?
- No, the purchase of PBBY is exclusively online through designated entities.
- Is there an age limit for emigrant workers to avail PBBY?
- Yes, emigrant workers must be between 18 to 65 years old.
- What are the accepted modes of payment?
- Accepted modes include UPI, Internet Banking, Debit Card, Online Wallets, and Credit Card (Mastercard, Visa, and American Express).
- Can family members benefit from the PBBY?
- Yes, the PBBY extends coverage to family hospitalization and maternity expenses for eligible family members.
- Is the certification process recognized globally?
- Yes, certification by Indian Missions and Posts abroad is accepted by insurance companies globally.
- What is the maximum coverage for accidental death or permanent disability?
- PBBY offers a substantial ₹10 Lakh coverage for accidental death or permanent disability leading to job loss.
This comprehensive guide aims to empower Indian emigrant workers with the knowledge they need to navigate the Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana. By understanding the benefits, eligibility criteria, application process, and necessary documentation, emigrant workers can embark on their overseas journey with enhanced security and confidence.